Sunday, March 22, 2009

A new week night recipe


On Saturday, I tried a new recipe from my April 2009 issue of Bon Appetit - Tagliatelle with baby vegetables and lemon-Parmesan sauce. Ooh, we really liked this.

The ingredients are pretty basic - pasta, veggies, cheese. How can you go wrong? Not at all, apparently. I loved this because it was so fresh tasting, simple, and satisfying. The prep time is minimal - I could get most of the prep work done while the pasta was cooking.

Here are my notes on the recipe:

"1 8.8-ounce package of egg & spinach tagliatelle blend or egg fettuccine" - I used Trader Joe's Lemon & Pepper pappardelle instead and I loved the results. The extra lemon and pepper just intensified the flavors in a good way.

"8 ounces baby zucchini, trimmed, halved lengthwise" - I cut mine again for even thinner slices

"8 ounces frozen tiny green beans (3 cups), thawed" - or not thawed as I did and it still turned out fine, but I added the beans when I started cooking the other veggies

"Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and zucchini" - and frozen beans if you didn't have time to thaw them

"Saute until zucchini is tender, about 8 minutes." - Okay, so we found we wanted more salt and kept adding it. The zucchini also didn't cook to a tenderness we liked in 8 minutes, despite having sliced them thinner than directed. So you'll have to salt and figure out the zucchini as you go so it's what you like.

Despite the cream, this is a very light dinner. We really liked this and will certainly make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment